Sohodolls, The Academy Is.., The Matches, Butch Walker and Hanson are ON THE VERGE. Coming in early '09 from Planet Verge & Ambush TV!

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The Good, the Bad, and the Over Played...

Something has been digging at me. I understand the whole radio airplay concept and how there's playlists, and music is licensed to said stations to be played a certain number of times on a certain number of playlists, blah, blah blah. I have been hearing tons of great new music on the radio, and I have been hearing some tragic attempts at talent...but, Whatever happened to the whole concept of "leave wanting more" more? Wouldn't that create more buzz for the artist? It certainly has the potential to make the artist and the label more money. Wouldnt that make listeners tune into the radio staion more frequently in hopes of hearing said song???

The other day i was driving to the beach to check out the waves and maybe head out for a surf, I mean, it was 73 degrees in January, and going against my usual mix CD playlist I went for the radio. Flipping around I finally settled on the ghetto, wanna-be-punk, sugar coated pop station of Z100. On my way there I heard Hinder's latest release success "Lips of an Angel" or whatever its called. THEN, after I finished my glorious hour long walk on the beach (the waves sucked) I got back in my car and within 3 minutes, Hinders song was on again. I'm not saying that its a bad song, or that its horrifically overplayed, its just frustrating to me. I would have been more curious about the song, and maybe would have checked it out on itunes or something if i HADN'T heard it 2 times within an hour and a half.

I just want success for those whom are TRULY talented. The music world knows how to destroy dreams, and it knows how to cradle and help develope those few careers that are truly worth venturing into. Radio airplay is ruining some songs for me. Some talented artists are licensing their songs out WAY to much. WAY to much.

Ahh. I feel better now that I got that out.

I hope that everyone is having a wonderful day. The week is making it's way to Friday!


*Amanda (who is totally and completely digging the Colour Revolt EP.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

DUDE, you have no idea how much I friggin' LOATHE Hinder. I can't even describe how much I hate them.

Planet Verge magazine said...

1: I wish I could surf
2: Maybe that is why CD sales are sinking. No reason to buy the CD when you know it's on the radio every five minutes!

*Joelle