Sohodolls, The Academy Is.., The Matches, Butch Walker and Hanson are ON THE VERGE. Coming in early '09 from Planet Verge & Ambush TV!

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Hula to This

Lately I've decided to do a half-hour of hula hoopping a day (it's a great workout and rumored to be how Beyonce gets so bootylicious) and with that comes another excuse to listen to loud music. Here's what's been keeping my energy pumping.

1. Avril Lavigne, The Best Damn Thing- I know! I know... It's a guilty pleasure. I always listened to Avril on the radio and once two of my favorite artists, Butch Walker and Our Lady Peace's Raine Maida both worked on her last album I had to buy it. This time around, Butch was back and so was I. Here's what I learned from watching the accompanying DVD. 1-Butch wasn't in it enough, 2- Derek Whibly still needs a nose job, 3- Marriage hasn't made Avril more mature, she seems a little bratty. 4- A lot of her fanbase is going to be alienated or not allowed to listen to her potty mouth. Bottom line, this CD may not be The Best Damn Thing, but it's mighty delish. Some songs feel like she's going backwards in evolution as an artist. Some are a giant leap forward (credit Butch). Don't take it too seriously and you'll have a good time singing along. Best of the bunch- "When Your Gone," is sure to be a Number One radio hit. I will keep this on rotation with my hula hooping sountrack.


2. Good Charlotte, Good Morning Revival- I cringed when they did a song, "The River," with Avenged Sevenfold and ended up liking it anyway. I didn't know who sold out more with that one. However, I love this album. While I have a strong alliance to their debut and much boredom with their last effort, I must say, this is new CD anything but a let down. Even the slight rapping that I didn't like at first, I like now. "Keep Your Hands off My Girl" is a winner. "All Black" is a bore (seriously, what is the point of that track??). Good Charlotte are at a place in their career where they could've tanked and followed the same old format that got them famous, but they proved that they're sailing on into safe waters and aren't going anywhere just yet by branching out into new musical territory. The CD gets my hips moving. It'll stay on rotation. Try to get your hands on issue 2 of Planet Verge (from like six years ago, so good luck) and read my interview with Billy. He was blonde then. ah, memories...



3. 1997, A Better View of The Rising Moon- Flat out, Victory Records has been sorta sucking lately (no Black Maria tour??) It's to the point where I don't even want to open CDs from them. But I'm glad I took a chance and spinned 1997. Honestly, the fact that there is a girl in the band (and her hair is cute) grabbed my interest. But I really like the songs and the smooth contrast between male and female vocals. Deff. check out this band.


*Joelle

No comments: